The AOP forecast that in 2010 the growth in digital revenues is expected to be 10 percent. Online publishers seem to be losing confidence as the ad downturn continues. The survey also concluded that:
- 75% of respondents plan greater digital investment
- 60% plan to do more technology-partnering
- 50% of respondents expect to increase staff this year
- Nearly 50% say ad sales is a top-three priority
- Almost 33% also put editorial skills in that bracket
- 25% say that database skills are a top three priority
So, it's a mixed picture. Most investment is taking place in the development of pay walls. However, the broadband boom of recent years presents publishers with a new growth opportunity - video advertising.